Posted: 13/12/19 by Northamptonshire Chamber
Congratulating the Prime Minister on his election victory, as reported at 7.00am, British Chambers of Commerce Director General Dr Adam Marshall said: “Restoring business, investor and consumer confidence – and firing up the economy – must now be the Prime Minister’s top priority.
“Campaign slogans must give way to a renewed focus on the details that matter. Our business communities need to see swift, decisive action to avoid a messy and disorderly exit from the EU and to tackle the barriers holding back investment and growth here in the UK.”
Businesses’ priorities for the new government include:
· Avoiding a no-deal exit from the EU and delivering a smooth transition giving firms time to prepare.
· Acting rapidly to reform business rates and replace them with a fairer system.
· Pressing ahead with improvements to transport infrastructure including HS2,Nothern Powerhouse Rail and additional capacity at Heathrow.
· Investing in our skills base and reforming the Apprenticeships Levy so that more small firms can access high-quality training locally, at affordable cost.
· Delivering a sensible immigration system that gives firms access to essential overseas talent at all levels.